Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Selective apathy

I've just returned from the female students' dialogue with 6 female MPs. Guess who got conned into ushering in the welcome party. Sadness that Ir*ne Ng didn't make it, she's quite hot. (L*ly Neo straightened her hair, and she is also quite hot)

So lusting aside, as expected (sadly enough), girls started asking questions addressing only female issues: Why is there still income disparity between men and women in the same occupation? Why is there still discrimination in hiring women (due to the tendency to get pregnant and take leave)? Why isn't there more incentive for employers to be pro-family?

While listening to the discussion I found myself becoming more and more worked up, yes, why don't employers understand that it's a physiological burden on women that we are the ones who have to bear childrem? Why? Why?

Then I caught myself. Hello, put enough women in the same room and all you get is a complaining session. All complaints, of course, were met with a polite "We're not ready for it" or "We have made a stand and it is in legislation to be pro-family" and variants of "Aiyah, what to do?".

And come on, surely we can talk about other issues. Why are we only addressing female issues? We're more useful than that, come on!!

Luckily for us, we had some very angsty girls and entertaining anecdotes about marriage and children from the MPs to keep us awake and at the edges of our seats. Ok not at the edges per se. Only thing is that these angsty girls left little opportunity for anyone else to interject. Sometimes girls should know when to shut the fuck up.

Mostly, I was wondering how they all manage such impeccable hair and makeup with their hectic lifestyles.

Officially a USP snob

In my first lecture on monday for my first general elective module, I found myself sneering in class. I couldn't believe what a module I was taking. Not only was it crudely easy to grasp, I was sharing the stuffy LT with 400 other students. 400!!! And from everywhere, since everyone takes it as a UE.

So I found myself sneering, this is like a severely dumbed down USP class 20 times the size and with no class participation points.

And I thank goodness I've had the opportunity to attend USP classes. I don't mind the additional project work and presentations and participation assessments. It makes things challenging and competitive, keeps me on my toes and interested. If not for the programme, I would never have had the chance to work closely with any profs so early in my academic life, and I would never have known small class sizes. At least in USP, I needed to think during lectures. Imagine that.

So I have to humble myself this semester, for I'm taking 3 of these modules, just so I'd graduate with enough credits. I always wondered what it'd be like to take 6 modules in one semester. I've got a chance now I guess, sans the fun USP classes.

No comments: